- Under the direct supervision of the Migrant Health Officer, the technical guidance of the IOM Teleradiology Center and the overall supervision of the Head of Mission for administrative matters, the successful candidate will be responsible for overseeing the overall activity of the radiology unit for screening treatment. Radiography of Refugees and Immigrants at MHAC Lagos, and will specifically carry out the following duties and responsibilities:
Main functions / Responsibilities
- Supervise the radiological services of the unit and, when necessary, perform good quality chest x-rays of migrants, as requested by the panel doctors and / or the radiologist, in accordance with IOM international radiographic standards and the technical instructions of the resettlement country.
- Take appropriate additional chest X-rays using standard procedures when requested.
- Plan and schedule daily work in the radiology unit and assign tasks to staff.
- Supervise the staff and overall activity of the radiology unit to ensure proper application of radiographic techniques and radiation protection procedures, fast and smooth X-ray processing, optimized workflow and timely delivery of quality chest X-ray images and reports.
- Ensure proper and respectful management of candidates at x-ray reception, advising on x-ray examination procedures, preparation of equipment and examination rooms, proper identification check, correct entry biographical data in CR/DR machines and standard labeling of x-ray images and avoid substitutions.
- Examine the accuracy and quality of x-rays with proper processing of digital images on the CR/DR x-ray machine, correcting the technical quality of images and performing a repeat when the image quality is not acceptable .
- Report important/urgent information to radiologists and/or physicians as needed.
- Ensure consistent high quality CXRs through regular quality assurance and quality control, adherence to technical requirements of resettlement countries and radiographic techniques, verification and improvement of existing standard operating procedures, as well as close supervision and training of staff. And assign or assume the role of Quality Assurance Manager for the Radiology Unit as required.
- Implement, monitor and maintain radiation safety measures in the radiology unit in accordance with standard radiation protection rules and regulations, including regular use of lead shield for candidates, use of apparatus personal radiation measurement for all personnel and regular reading and appropriate protection. of the radiology room and keep all records and assign a radiation protection focal point for the radiology unit if necessary, ensuring the safety of candidates, staff and the public.
- Maintain regular contact with the respective government authorities in the country for radiological safety compliance and obtaining a license to operate the x-ray unit if necessary. Plan with IOM units and non-IOM technical service providers regarding maintenance and repair of equipment.
- Coordinate with the supply unit and the teleradiology center for the purchase of equipment as required.
- Communicate with radiologist or teleradiology centers for chest x-ray reading and assign radiology focal person to coordinate chest x-ray reading workflow as needed.
- Ensure regular and timely quality assurance of CR/DR X-ray equipment, proper handling of machines and lead screens, and evaluation and reporting of equipment performance.
- Ensure timely execution of radiology unit administrative tasks such as preparation of daily work lists, barcodes, refugee ID verification, refugee counseling, CXR image burning on CDs, uploading digital CXR images to the eMedical website, statistical reporting and analysis of operational activities, and good record keeping and, if necessary, performing activities directly
- Report directly to the Migrant Health Officer regarding issues with staff and issues related to radiology work.
- Implement infection control measures and ensure a tidy and tidy working environment in the radiology unit.
- Suggest and implement additional technical measures, recommend new equipment, equipment modifications and critical constructions to improve the quality, speed or safety of radiological procedures in the unit.
- Coordinate the purchase of supplies and equipment, make recommendations regarding the unit’s operating budget, implement good record keeping of consumables and maintenance services.
- Demonstrate new techniques, equipment and procedures to staff and provide technical guidance and training to new staff.
- Perform any other activities requested by supervisors.
Qualifications and experience required
- University bachelor’s degree in radiological technology from an accredited academic institution with four years of relevant experience; Current Professional License/Board Certificate as per country requirements.
- Master’s degree or additional certificates in health management, radiography, public health or related field is an advantage
- Extensive knowledge and experience of radiology department processes, especially chest x-ray and digital x-ray required.
- A good command of the computer tool (Microsoft Office), in particular Microsoft Excel is essential.
- Experience in managing a radiology unit, an asset.
- Experience in screening and health assessment chest X-ray programs an advantage.
- Knowledge and experience of Radiology Information Systems and Picture Archiving and Communication Systems (PACS) an asset.
- Proven ability to work without supervision and within a multidisciplinary team.
- Ability to work with tight deadlines
- Knowledge of radiation and patient safety
- Excellent verbal, written, interpersonal and customer service skills
- Flexible, adaptable and able to demonstrate a client-focused attitude for the delivery of the highest standards of care
- Demonstrated ability to maintain detail, accuracy and confidentiality
- English language is required (oral and written).
- A working knowledge of local languages is highly desirable.
Required Skills :
The incumbent must demonstrate the following skills:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages
- diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and Transparency: Maintaining high ethical standards and acting in accordance with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a calm, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – Behavioral Indicators Level 2:
- Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and between units to achieve common goals and maximize results.
- Delivering Results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed results.
- Manage and share knowledge: constantly seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: Owns the achievement of organizational priorities and takes responsibility for own actions and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex topics in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Managerial skills – level 2 behavioral indicators
- Leadership: Provides clear direction, leads by example, and demonstrates the ability to achieve the organization’s vision; helps others realize and develop their potential.
- Empower others and build trust: Creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can bring their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic Thinking and Visioning: Works strategically to achieve organizational goals and communicates clear strategic direction.
Click here to apply